19 January 2010

From My Heart Tonight

I'm sitting by the lake again,
Where I've sat so many times before -
Thinking, just thinking.
If everything I've thought here
Could become visible and hang 'round my head,
The lake might be covered
With musty blackness.
I haven't been here in a long time,
But tonight it's time to revisit.
It's one o'clock in the morning, and cold.
Frost covers everything in sight -
Benches, leaves, blades of grass -
And I'm shivering, not only from the cold,
But from the power of my thoughts tonight.
Surprisingly, this time I'm not
Obsessing over the past
Or dwelling on pain or betrayals.
I'm just wondering what will come next.
The lyrics that float through my head tonight
Don't come in the form of Carley Simon
Advising me to scream through the confusion,
Or even some sad melody that simply haunts.
Tonight the only song I hear is
"Oh the deep, deep love of Jesus
Vast, unmeasured, boundless, free."
And I like to think that -
If my thoughts were visible -
The peace tonight would flow from me,
Banishing the bitterness and hurt
That I've released here before.
Jesus' peace - He's in my heart -
And that's all that really matters.

That girl in Switzerland

1 comment: